Monday 14 March 2016

Princess pieds

I am back from Berlin, 'twas ace and fabulous and you should all go there. I will post pictures when I stop having a strop with my iPad. To be fair to the iPad, it's not its fault, I am struggling to have text and photos  in a manner pleasing to your auntie. I shall not be defeated, I expect my husband will post with better photos as well so go and see him HERE


So today I am going to whine about my feet, when in Berlin for the 48 hours I was there I racked up 67 thousand something steps, that's a lot of steps. I love a good walk but I am now beginning to struggle with my feet or more precisely I struggle with footwear, my feet don't match me, they're not the feet of a middle aged stoical lady, my feet belong to a Princess who is currently wondering why someone has stolen her feet and swapped them with trotters belonging to a peasant.

My feet hate all shoes now, the balls of my feet are a trouble but my heels are the most princessy part of them, anything touching my heel for more than a nano second sends them into a swoony faint and they demand a chaise longue and a wee rest. I can work with this in the summer, I wear fit flops which are very cushioned underneath so I can walk and my heels are naked, my heels like naked, they are the only part of me that does. I have lovely fit flop slippers which leave the requisite heel to fresh air ratio,  I have even managed to find fit flop boots, they saw me round my 67,000 steps of Berlin, so why am I moaning?
Dear reader, they are not the most attractive of footwear and they don't suit anything other than casual wear, normally this is okay as I'm not a dressy up kind of auntie, I wear maxi dresses and fit flops in the summer and I wear jeans and fit flop boots in the winter, at home I wear the slippers. I am not geeing my ginger with this, I can adapt, my feet look special but they are continuing to move the auntie round, I'm not complaining but...
 I have to go and speak at a conference this week and for some reason the lecture I will give will not be understood by the attendees if I show up in my maxi dress and fit flops. For me to get my point across I need to be in nice lady clothes, again nae bother to your auntie, I have loads of serious lady lecturing outfits. None of them, sadly, work with fit flops, boots or slippers, I know, completely #firstworldmiddleagedladyproblems.
So enterprising wee soul that I am, I have sourced and I have paid good cash money for a pair of black high heeled suede mules and a packet of something called party feet, they appear to be wee gel cushions you put in your shoes. I'm not sure I would class the Royal College of Nursing's Education conference as a party but us middle aged ladies with bad feet have to take our kicks where we can find them.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diversion is the key. If you wear something outlandish on your head, no one will notice your feet. Maybe a bishop's mitre?

auntiegwen said...

Andrew - a bishops mitre? Why didn't I think of that... Oh wait because I am a normal humans

Gigi said...

I know exactly what you speak of....much to my shoe-loving consternation...seriously? Comfortable/stylish...is that too much too ask of a shoe?

Also? The conversation between you and the husband? Priceless.

auntiegwen said...

Gigi - you are so on my wavelength, as for the husband that's what passes for entertainment round here

London City (mum) said...

Geox shoes or boots. Have a number of pairs, my favourite being ankle boots with a stack heel that are the most comfortable item of footwear I have ever owned. Just finishing their 3rd winter - have re-heeled twice and are best value for money ever. Have trekked over all manner of surfaces, up steps, down vale, cobblestones, gravel, grass, puddles, you name it.

LCM x

p.s. I am not being paid to say that (sadly)!

ADDY said...

I think you've got my feet by mistake, but you are welcome to keep them. In any case, I was trying to swap mine for ones that can wear heels again (sigh). If you find any comfy shoes with heels, let me know.

auntiegwen said...

LCMs - will investigate, we bought the lives of others on your recommend, ta much lot X
Addy - apparently Geox are what we should be wearing :) it's sad about the high heels isn't it? I do miss mi e sometimes

Looking for Blue Sky said...

I tottered to the pub for my big night out in a pair of high heeled boots and am now thinking that they may need to be retired. Unless I practice wearing them more regularly - at least I might be able to reach the cobwebs in the corners then!

If you find anything that does work, please share x

auntiegwen said...

Lfbs - it's grim isn't it?