Saturday 9 January 2016

auntiegwens guide to 1 night in Glasgow

As some of you will know, I grew up in Glasgow and still I think of it as home although I haven't lived there since 1987! And yes I am fully aware of how old that makes me sound, thank you very  much. 3 years ago I was fortunate enough to get married and we (I) chose One Devonshire Gardens as our venue. 

I love this hotel and we our intention was to spend each of our wedding anniversaries there. We have only managed to do it on our third attempt! We have stayed there quite a few times now and to us it will always be special, the service is impeccable yet friendly, the surroundings grand but homely and it is just a stroll away from Byres Rd with its great shops, good bars, fantastic restaurants and not forgetting the independent cinema and the Jewel that is Oran Mor.

This  time we opted to eat outside the hotel and we headed to Cafe Andaluz on the recommendation of the lovely lady who served us in Time and Tide which is a gorgeous interiors shop at the top end of Byres Rd, I couldn't pass it by, just my taste, I wanted to buy everything, I gave it my very best shot! 
At Cafe Andaluz we had the pre theatre menu of 3 tapas plus pud for £15 and a bottle of cava. I had the aubergine and manchero bake, the goats cheese and marmalade and donated my 3rd to himself, he ate meaty things, I have not a notion what they were. For pud we were going to have half of each other's but my meringue and raspberry was too nice to share so I ate it all! 
Suitably revived and replete we meandered back to the hotel. I would say that of all the rooms we have stayed in at this hotel, it was our least favourite, by no means was it bad, it just wasn't as good as the others, it didn't have the wow factor for us, judge for yourself, it was a but busy for your auntie. The bathroom was nice though.

The  hotel which is part of the Hotel du Vin chain provides bathrobes and slipperstoiletries are Miller Harris and smell citrusy which I like and rooms have iPod Bose stereo thingies and Nespresso machines ( quite frankly I would rather have a kettle, no point in wasting fancy coffee on me, I have instant tastebuds, himself loves them, we have one at home, I never touch it) 
Breakfast is good and was included, not sure it is ever worth the extra as I have coffee, toast, yoghurt and I'm done. Himself had eggy things this time, if I don't eat it I tend not to notice nor care, if it's pinchable by me you have a chance of a description. We paid £165 for 1 nights b&b so not the cheapest but when you love you love, don't you?

5 comments:

Gigi said...

Wow the difference between the bedroom and the bathroom is huge. The bedroom feels more vintage while the bathroom feels more modern. I would think they would have went one way or the other. But, you had a great time. That is all that matters.

auntiegwen said...

Gigi - Indeed, we liked the bathroom much more. I think my taste is very less patterned and much prefer lighter colours, I follow. A lot of American ladies who Instagram their houses and I love that American style. The houses in the states seem to be much bigger, I expect the UK is such a small island it follows that most of the houses normal ( by that I mean people who aren't vastly rich) people live in aren't big like in the states.

Lesley said...

One of my best friends spent the night before his wedding at 1 Devonshire, so I got to have a wee look round. Lovely. Wished I could have spent the night there too, but apparently it's not the done thing. We had a meal at Café Andaluz that night too, followed by a drink at Oran Mor.

Lesley said...

One of my best friends spent the night before his wedding at 1 Devonshire, so I got to have a wee look round. Lovely. Wished I could have spent the night there too, but apparently it's not the done thing. We had a meal at Café Andaluz that night too, followed by a drink at Oran Mor.

auntiegwen said...

Lesley- I think he could have let you! Cafe Andaluz is ace isn't it? And Oran Mor , you are clearly a woman of good taste !